Planning A Military Move

If you have Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders and have determined that a DITY (do-it-yourself) move is your best money-saving solution, there are a few things you?ll need to know:

First, we recommend that you take full advantage of the Relocation Readiness Program at the base youre relocating to. Youll find this a huge help in acclimating you and your family to your new home.  Through the Relocation Readiness Program, youll find ways to make military moving easier, like newcomer orientation, welcome packets, and general information about the area.

Second, if you?re planning military moving in the form of a Self-Procured DITY relocation, it?s important that you follow the proper guidelines to ensure government reimbursement:

DITY moving requires prior approval. Make an appointment with the Transportation Office ahead of time. Without prior approval, you risk not being reimbursed. Supply the Transportation Office with proper paperwork. You will need four copies of your PCS orders, and complete DD Form 2278 (application for DITY Move). Begin getting moving quotes. Get moving quotes from military moving companies that will guarantee full and empty weight tickets, and make sure to ask about a military moving discount. Reserve your military move. Make certain to verify inclusion of full and empty weight tickets. Visit the dispersing office. Pick up your advance operating allowance. Submit a settlement claim.

Once you take delivery of your shipment at destination, your claim should be submitted to the inbound Transportation Office. Necessary documents include:

Copy of PCS orders
Original DD Form 2278
All receipts for moving expenses (attach to DITY move certification)
Statement of expenses actually incurred
Voucher for advance operating allowance
U-Pack Bill of Lading
Certified empty & loaded weight tickets
Original DD Form 1351-D (travel voucher) with address, dates and service members signature

Keep everything. Make sure to keep all receipts and copies of all documents for tax purposes.

Submit settlement claim. Your settlement claim should be submitted to the TMO within 45 days of your move.

Receive Reimbursement. Your military moving payment should be received within 30 days of submitting paperwork to the TMO. Incentive is equal to 95% of what it would have cost the government to move the property, and final reimbursement is based on the actual weight moved (which is why weight tickets are a requirement).